3 Great Decorating Books
As a host of new decorating and home design books crops up (reviews coming soon), I still stand by Domino Book of Decorating, an oldie but goodie.
I was bummed when Domino folded a few years ago, and I received a note in the mail stating that my subscription would be replaced with a certain periodical, which I shall not name here, that focuses primarily on articles like “How to Make Your Man Happy While Walking in High Heels and Creating a Five Course Meal.”
So I was pleased to discover Domino: The Book of Decorating: A Room-by-Room Guide to Creating a Home That Makes You Happy, which includes a bunch of gorgeous photos and practical ideas for how to choose a rug, balance the various elements in a room, and make your space more inviting. There’s a great list of resources at the end of the book, ranging from the high-end to the Ikea in all of us. If decorating seems overwhelming, this book has some good advice on prioritizing and budgeting to create the best space your schedule and your wallet can afford.
Also recommended: Grace Bonney’s big, beautiful Design Sponge at Home and Dwell Studio founder Christiane Lemiux’s Undecorate, which offers a delightfully unconventional approach to making your space your own.
One thing all of these books have in common: an insistence on mixing high-end and low-end products, and a celebration of the unusual, very personal find. My grandmother’s old metal colander, for example, beautifully bent and deeply nostalgic, holds a central spot in my dining room.
View all posts in this series
- Mirror, Mirror, on the Wall - August 10, 2011
- Czech beauty: midcentury modern desk - September 12, 2011
- The Joy of Less: How to Declutter & Live Simply - January 9, 2012
- Best Closet Organizing System - April 15, 2012
- 3 Great Decorating Books - July 1, 2012
- Decorating with pairs — the serendipity of symmetry - September 7, 2012
- Green Design: LED lighting gets practical - September 26, 2012
- DIY rug, from The Daily Coyote, by Shreve Stockton - October 2, 2012
- Cultivate a Shrine: can possessions make you happier? - October 5, 2012
- Beautiful things from Layla Grayce - October 9, 2012
- Decorating with Red
- Have a happier wall - October 14, 2012
- Create a Beautiful Kitchen - October 16, 2012
- A Few of My Favorite (Vintage) Things - October 22, 2012
- Great Design for Kids – Modern Kids Bedroom - October 24, 2012
- Industrial home design: wood and steel furniture - October 31, 2012
- Antique stockings & vintage holiday decor - November 5, 2012
- Gifts for the Home : Ralph Lauren Home Sale + Martyn & Mary - November 28, 2012
- Chevron Stripe Rugs, Pillows, Stationery, & More - December 4, 2012
- Chevron Stripe Pillows - January 2, 2013
- The intersection of math, nature, & functional objets d’art - January 22, 2013
- My Great Gray Reading Chair – Don Draper replaces Mr. Carson - January 29, 2013